Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Decade Ago, I Quit Radio, For Candy!

On Halloween 2003, ten years ago tonight, I quit radio.  

Spoiler alert; That didn't go too well, considering what I do for a living today!


Back then, I was a part of a very popular morning show with an amazing team of talented people. Who I won't mention their names, to protect my secret admiration to them all...


...at the time, I was working for a company that wanted to take ownership & control the morning show website, which I designed, managed and also co-owned with a friend.  They wanted to put ads on this site, even though they had nothing to do with it.


We started this website at another radio station, and while there, it drew more traffic than their own main website.  The station liked our promotional abilities, so they actually shutdown their website and redirected web traffic to our site.  Beyond asking me to build some personality pages for the rest of the on-air talent, the station never interfered with what we were doing.

As they said;
 "Why mess with what is already working!"
When we got to this new station, after a short while, they wanted to insert their sponsor's advertisement banners or gain full access to the site.  I was not in favor of this, so a disagreement began.

On Halloween evening, back in 2003, my boss contacted me and told me that he wanted me to immediately transfer files of our site to their server.  I started to do it, which was no small task and this was outside of my regular working hours.

While doing this, I got a message from my sister, telling me that my two young nieces we 're waiting for me to go out Trick-or-Treating.  That is when I made the decision that I was not going to miss my time with my girls, who were just visiting from Wisconsin.

So, I quit my job and went out looking for candy with a 7 year and 4 year old nieces.

I had no regrets and kept myself busy by working in television.


I did not return to the radio studio until about a couple years later, when I came back to help my old morning team with a project.  After that, I was asked to come back, and with new management, I was happy to rejoin them.

During my second tour with this team, we proudly made a Halloween video, showing what happens at the radio studios at night...


Eventually the team went on to other endeavors.  Mine, while still doing television here and there, also includes working with two of the most legendary radio personalities of all time.  Again, I won't mention their names, to protect my secret admiration to them both...


...and that guy!

...but I am very thrilled to be able to see these boys on a daily basis!

I am still living the dream, which I only quit doing, a decade earlier!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
■The Robert Murphy Show, Producer
■The John Landecker Show, Producer
■The Dick Biondi Show, Producer
 
I am very grateful that I am still doing what I love and with the very best on the world famous W-L-S!

Tony Lossano, Broadcast Producer (TV & Radio, Chicago), amateur bicyclist, a fantastic dog walker, and has never been married to Alyssa Milano.

No comments: