Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Dibs! This Is Chicago. Fair Warning.

Snow is a big deal here in Chicago.  So when we get a huge storm, moving the snow is a very serious task.  Chicagoans are busy digging out from all of the snow.

For as long as I could remember, people here in Chicago have placed random junk out onto the streets, to save their shoveled out parking spots.  We call that DIBS!

In 1951, a large wooden spool, seen here, on a Chicago street.
However, it wasn't until a few years back, when I first heard anyone complain about Chicago dibs.  I am not sure who these people are, but here's how you can figure out where you are on this issue. Just pick the statement that best describes you;
1) I respect the fact that someone had to shovel out their own spot and I would never imagine even parking there, even if there wasn't lawn chairs sitting there. 
2) I am against people leaving their garbage on the streets, forcing me to shovel out my own spot! 
I love seeing what people leave out on the streets.  I think that there should be a reward for the most creative selection.  It makes the unpleasant ride through the snow, a bit more enjoyable.

Various items that I saw out on the streets of Chicago.
My old friend, Eric Zorn, of the Chicago Tribune, has made many rants against dibs. Here are just some of the comments that he has written from over the years; 
"It appears that hoarders are having a sidewalk sale, but on the streets!" 
"People who shovel out their own parking space, have no rights, and I do mean no rights to anything.  They should all be deported to Wisconsin!" 
"Children should be used to save parking spaces, ensuring that the spots won't be held hostage from others for too long!"
Or something like that...as I may have misquoted him a bit here, but I was paraphrasing, that is, if paraphrasing also means 'making stuff up'.

I am sure he has some valid points, I just haven't really read any yet.
 
I asked my sister to save a spot for me, this is what she did.  (Note the fire hydrant!)
A while ago, there was a silly campaign, where you could print a flier out claiming that; This area was a Chair-Free Zone!  This sounded like a bunch of suburbanites who might not understand the way things are done here in the big city.  

Regardless, I went ahead and redid the poster a bit, adding the words from our long time leader;

Feel free to print this and place it onto your dibs out on the street...then tweet me a pic.
If you still have questions on dibs, here is a report by Pat Tomasulo on the WGN Morning News;
"It's a Chicago winter tradition to save your street parking space with a lawn chair, or an old My Little Pony 3-wheeler."  

Tony Lossano, Broadcast Producer (TV & Radio, Chicago), amateur bicyclist, a fantastic dog walker, and has never been married to Alyssa Milano.

No comments: